Duties and Responsibilities
Petroleum Inspector generally has duties like inspecting the shipment of crude or refined petroleum as it arrives at the shore, transfer sample in bottles and take it to laboratory, examine and analyze petroleum and writing report on findings. Assistant Petroleum Inspector generally helps the Chief Petroleum Inspector to perform all his duties and in writing reports as well as work as acting senior in his absence.
For a Senior Petroleum Inspector responsibilities and duties include the following:
- Equipment operations thus should have a fair knowledge about mechanical parts.
- Performing all the technical tasks
- Facility installations
- Inspection of pollution sources for ground and surface waters pollution;
- Inspection of equipment operations like drilling and servicing structures and operations
- Checking of fire prevention, hazardous conditions, and emission control, monitoring vapor production and disposal of fluids
- Performing proper technical field and laboratory studies of potential contamination sources
- And many other tasks like this
There are certain skills which Petroleum Inspector is supposed to have like:
- One must be practical and positive and can follow instructions.
- One should have good writing skills.
- One should have good interpersonal and communication skills.
- One must be capable of working on MS Word and Excel.
- One should have basic math comprehension with a fair understanding of fractions.
- One must be physically fit.
- One should have a fair understanding of the regulatory codes and policies of the petroleum industry as well as the terminologies used in the industry
- One should be able to make accurate observations
- One must be skillful enough to deal effectively and diplomatically with industrial personnel as well as with public where required.
- One must be good at record keeping
- One should have a reasonable idea about mechanical parts of the equipments used in petroleum operations.
- Utilization of motorized equipment used in petroleum operations
- Fair knowledge of mechanical parts
- Terminology usage in petroleum industry
- Drilling procedure and methods used in petroleum operations
A petroleum inspector job is in demand as there are very few people who opts this career option when compared to sectors like marketing, finance etc. Therefore it's easy to find a job in this field. Assistant Petroleum Inspector can progress to the next level of his career and become a Senior Petroleum Inspector and then the Chief Petroleum Inspector. Thus there is a proper career track for this job and hence a good job outlook.
The salaries of petroleum inspectors vary according to the level of job. The average petroleum inspector job salary is $41,000 yearly. Average salaries for petroleum inspector can fluctuate significantly based on the company, industry and experience. As an Assistant or Trainee Petroleum Inspector one can earn $18.38 - $22.44 hourly or we can say $3,197 - $3,903 per month. Whereas as Senior Petroleum Inspector can earn $65,000 to $75,000 annually.
Considering a career as a petroleum inspector is a good option as there are number of job openings and the salary is also rewarding.